LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Default Drug cartel attack in Cancun

FOXNews.com - At Least 8 Killed in Cancun Bar Attack
Rich and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Cancuncare Guru

Well that's just great... at least they pointed out it wasn't a touristy bar... its not the kind of news Cancun needs.. and I'd bet its already getting plenty of airtime and twist in the US....

Edit here are some pictures of the place in the news article.. there seems to be some conflicting information... some say they were "commandos" carrying guns and others say it was guys dressed more like local street gang members... "cocktails" sounds more like street vermin to me as the "zetas" prefer to use guns... in any case it looks like the place only had one entrance so it was not easy to escape. Very upsetting and very irritating to us locals, these filthy animals with no respect for the lives of others need to be put down...

Last edited by Life_N_Cancun; 08-31-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Life_N_Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Cancuncare Guru

Sadly most of the news reports (including the BBC) aren't saying it wasn't in a touristy area. Such a shame! If people got shot in South Detroit would you be worried if you live in the northern suburbs?

This attack was no where near tourists.
matkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkirk View Post
Sadly most of the news reports (including the BBC) aren't saying it wasn't in a touristy area. Such a shame! If people got shot in South Detroit would you be worried if you live in the northern suburbs?

Where abouts was it? They haven't named the bar.
Rich and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Cancuncare Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkirk View Post

Well no surprise.... when things happen here they lead the US news for days and weeks meanwhile the hundreds of murders that happen every day in the US get only a passing mention at best... and certainly don't get picked up by the international media... Mexico just gets all the wrong sort of attention these days...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Cancuncare Regular

Yea also interesed on where this was....
Benuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Cancuncare Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Linda View Post
Where abouts was it? They haven't named the bar.
Reg 229 in downtown Cancun.. way off the tourist path.... Here is the local article.. there is even wild speculation that it was something to do with the arrest of drug kingpin "la barbie" the other day, which of' course makes absolutely no sense... but it shows how quickly everyone likes to blame everything on the "narcos" rather than even investigate that it could be a local dispute or street gangs marking their turf... I personally hope it was local scum so that the police might actually catch them as opposed to being organized groups that employ those police...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Cancuncare Guru

Basically in a s**t area of Cancun where no one from this forum has probably ever been or has any desire to go and would certainly not go to a bar there!
matkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
Cancuncare Regular

Here's a google map showing the bar's location
Cancun bar bombing - Google Maps
Laura Mapchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Cancuncare Addict

Thanks for that Laura....you are right, we would never go that deep into downtown Cancun.
GCPSgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Cancuncare Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPSgirl View Post
Thanks for that Laura....you are right, we would never go that deep into downtown Cancun.
My thoughts go out to the families. Unfortunately there is violence everywhere but i won't let that stop me from traveling to cancun on saturday.

Min
MignonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
I can choose my own title

Tragic for sure, I haven't been reading international press so didn't realize it had gotten out there. It's basically a dive in a bad neighbourhood, doesn't take away from the tragedy, but things like this happened even in Toronto when I was living there.

Have never been in that region of Cancun, waaaay out of the tourist zone.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
Cancuncare Enthusiast

We have visited Cancun 4 times. We love to go the nightclubs in the touristy section. We really want to continue vacationing there. One thing that has always bothered me, we noticed on several occasions, that even the more frequented nightclubs do not seem to have capacity laws or at least ones that are followed. I remember thinking, if there is a fire here, there would be no possible way we would make it out....The drug cartel violence seems to be closer to our favorite vacation hideaway each time we book. One of the other forum members compared it to "if there was a shooting in a major US city, would you not visit or live there"... I hardly feel this was a fair comparison to what is going on in Mexico and their war on drugs. I can't help but wonder, how much longer until they are killing people inside of the well known, much visited clubs?? We will definately have to put more thought into our next vacation to Mexico.....

Last edited by lovey25993; 08-31-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
lovey25993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Owner and Administrator

The bar is about 2 blocks from where Jannets' Mum lives in 93. She knows of it and when we told her about the news she said 'it's a horrible place full of narcos'.

It seems strange to me, that if the intention was to kill people, that armed men decide to throw incendiaries rather than use the guns they had with them at the time. My pure speculation is that the intention was to burn the place to the ground, the deaths being a result of the ferocity of the fire and lack of escape routes.

My advice remains, if you put yourself in vulnerable positions such as visiting a seedy table dancing bar in a dodgy area of town that happens to be a known haunt of narco's and other undesirables at 1:30am on a Tuesday morning then you shouldnt be surprised if something bad happens. If on the other hand, that kind of activity is not your idea of fun then you are about as safe, if not moreso, than anywhere.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 AM   #15
Cancuncare Regular

I would equate what Steve says with going to East St. Louis, IL. Bottom line that's a place where bad sh*t is suppose to happen to you. Not to say that you couldn't go there and possibly not have bad sh*t happen to you, but you should not be the least bit shocked or suprised when bad sh*t happens to you because that's what supposed to happen to you while your there.
SHOW_ME_CPL is offline   Reply With Quote