Cancuncare  

Go Back   Cancuncare > Off Topic Forums > Free For All
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Like Tree14Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Owner and Administrator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14th Feb 2003
Location: Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 12,692
Default "You didnt build that"

One of the most annoying 'debates' at the moment. Seeing all the silly comments and meme pictures on my Facebook page - kind of infuriating.

Quote:
If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
What part of Obama's speech do Republicans not get?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Cancuncare Addict
 
MandZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27th Aug 2010
Posts: 388
Default

the part they dont get is the full quote....every media outlet was putting out simply "you didnt build it on your own"...obviously every person in the world has had people help them along the way....still doesnt make obamas views on spending and handouts any better....
__________________
september 2012....
MandZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
I can choose my own title
 
sweetchildomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,089
Default

The problem I see is that people are reading it with their ears. Not that many people would take the time to actually read a speech that was given, they would rather hear the spoken word which can seem misconstrued. Especially if you have felt as though you have been wronged by that individual.

Whatever the case may be, the people that continue to hold that opinion and firmly believe it, are the same ones that are too stubborn to believe there is anything other than their way. Soon enough they will eventually fall flat on their face and bitch all the while, wondering why no one was there to help them up.

I am a firm believer in doing stuff "on your own" and learning the hard way. But that is all in context. Just because you go at an individual task alone, does not mean that you are a pioneer. It means that you have a strong will and are self-motivated. The quote though is very true. Not only in America, but in all existence, someone did lead a charge. That person though, learned something from someone or a little bit/several pieces of an art from multiple people and put it all together to make a masterpiece. If they were even lucky enough to make a mistake along the way...... now they just became teacher!
__________________
2012, 2013, 2014(BC here we come)
sweetchildomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
V
I can choose my own title
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2nd Apr 2009
Location: Cancun, Centro
Posts: 3,470
Default

The whole system, much of it taxpayer funded and government provided, creates the environment in which businesses can flourish. Simple example is the whole system of law and courts without which there would be chaos in doing business.

The very term, "free enterprise", implies lawlessness in the marketplace and requires the antidote of well written laws, effectively enforced.

Fox News, with its constant message aimed at undermining the very institutions which make the country work, comes close to advocating anarchy.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Mayor of Temptation
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11th Mar 2003
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Posts: 5,483
Default

Since nobody did anything on their own and the only reason they succeeded was because they happen to be in the right environment... what hasn't EVERYBODY succeeded?

I mean if I'm nothing special, then why hasn't everyone achieved what I have?

If it not anything I have done then everyone should have succeeded and I really don't need to support anyone else because if they didn't get it done it's because they didn't try.

And if they don't care enough to try why should I care about them?

Jamie
__________________
TTR Repeat Offender
Reality Ė Never been there but the brochure looks nice!

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
The whole system, much of it taxpayer funded and government provided, creates the environment in which businesses can flourish. Simple example is the whole system of law and courts without which there would be chaos in doing business.

The very term, "free enterprise", implies lawlessness in the marketplace and requires the antidote of well written laws, effectively enforced.

Fox News, with its constant message aimed at undermining the very institutions which make the country work, comes close to advocating anarchy.
Wow! As a person who started my own business over 30 years ago and who still has a business, and who grew up in a family business that has existed now for over a hundred years I guess I owe it all to our wonderful government. Let's see, that's the government that tells me who I have to hire to meet quotas for a particular group even though there are better people out there who aren't part of the quota. That's the government that provides almost two years of unemployment insurance so that people don't have to work and then we can't find qualified people to hire. Oh, and lest I forget, that is the same government that when we find people drawing unemployment fraudulently, they tell us "We don't have time to check it out."

Let's see, there must have been a special teacher. I wonder if Obama was referring to the drunk teacher or the drug dealing teacher who couldn't be fired because of tenure that the Democratic Party clings to some tenaciously. Our roads and highways that have to be constucted by Mafia controlled unions which cost the taxpayer double what they should because of the union labor that just so happens to contribute heavily to the Democratic Party so they must be so important to my success. Our legal system is another fine example. I was just sued by a crook because I wouldn't prepare a fraudulent tax return for him. Oh, but in the Obama world that protects me. Oh yes, the trial lawyers also are very heavy contributors to the Obamas of the world.

For those of you who don't have businesses in the US, let me fill you in on a the reality. Our idiot government doesn't help us "build this" but they hinder us big time. From an out of control OSHA, to a burdensome tax system that penalizes those that hire and rewards those that don't, to a system that has layers upon layers of regulation that make no sense whatsoever but serve only to employ people who are too damned incompetent to hold down a real job.

What don't Republicans and those of us in business get? We don't get a chance to build and expand because of the clowns that are in office and that's starting with the ultimate person with zero business experience who is at the top! If Joe "the blooper" Biden wants to see who is really in chains he need only look at those of us with small businesses.

Obama tells us we didn't build this and we owe it all to others, particularly those that contribute heavily to his re-election. Interesting comment from a man who never had a real job in his life. I guess when you like to refer to yourself as the "Black Jesus" that gives you license to say almost anything no matter how ludicrous it might be.
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.

Last edited by twinimini; 08-20-2012 at 12:46 PM.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Cancuncare Addict
 
lowrider86's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11th Jun 2003
Location: Murphy, NC
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
Wow! As a person who started my own business over 30 years ago and who still has a business, and who grew up in a family business that has existed now for over a hundred years I guess I owe it all to our wonderful government. Let's see, that's the government that tells me who I have to hire to meet quotas for a particular group even though there are better people out there who aren't part of the quota. That's the government that provides almost two years of unemployment insurance so that people don't have to work and then we can't find qualified people to hire. Oh, and lest I forget, that is the same government that when we find people drawing unemployment fraudulently, they tell us "We don't have time to check it out."

Let's see, there must have been a special teacher. I wonder if Obama was referring to the drunk teacher or the drug dealing teacher who couldn't be fired because of tenure that the Democratic Party clings to some tenaciously. Our roads and highways that have to be constucted by Mafia controlled unions which cost the taxpayer double what they should because of the union labor that just so happens to contribute heavily to the Democratic Party so they must be so important to my success. Our legal system is another fine example. I was just sued by a crook because I wouldn't prepare a fraudulent tax return for him. Oh, but in the Obama world that protects me. Oh yes, the trial lawyers also are very heavy contributors to the Obamas of the world.

For those of you who don't have businesses in the US, let me fill you in on a the reality. Our idiot government doesn't help us "build this" but they hinder us big time. From an out of control OSHA, to a burdensome tax system that penalizes those that hire and rewards those that don't, to a system that has layers upon layers of regulation that make no sense whatsoever but serve only to employ people who are too damned incompetent to hold down a real job.

What don't Republicans and those of us in business get? We don't get a chance to build and expand because of the clowns that are in office and that's starting with the ultimate person with zero business experience who is at the top! If Joe "the blooper" Biden wants to see who is really in chains he need only look at those of us with small businesses.

Obama tells us we didn't build this and we owe it all to others, particularly those that contribute heavily to his re-election. Interesting comment from a man who never had a real job in his life. I guess when you like to refer to yourself as the "Black Jesus" that gives you license to say almost anything no matter how ludicrous it might be.
Damn!! I agree 100%. Twin your My HERO!!!! My busines it way down and all the help I had 30 years ago is still here, NONE. I'm ready for a change!!
__________________
BBG Time!
lowrider86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider86 View Post
Damn!! I agree 100%. Twin your My HERO!!!! My busines it way down and all the help I had 30 years ago is still here, NONE. I'm ready for a change!!
I was just out in Elkhart, Indiana which used to have a thriving RV industry and now has a glut of empty buildings and unemployed workers. While there I saw a billboard that I will try to quote as best I can, "The Navy seals saved America from the biggest threat it has faced. Now in November the voters can save America from another threat!"

A lot of people aren't aware that Obama's closest adviser is a woman by the name of Valerie Jarrett. Valerie was born in Iran. Purely coincidence I'm sure.......Riiiiigggghttt!!!!


Just remember Lowrider, you and Jamie and I had nothing to do with our businesses and their successes. It was all the work of our beloved leaders and their wisdom.
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man
 
Canadian Dos Equis fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10th Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
I was just out in Elkhart, Indiana which used to have a thriving RV industry and now has a glut of empty buildings and unemployed workers. While there I saw a billboard that I will try to quote as best I can, "The Navy seals saved America from the biggest threat it has faced. Now in November the voters can save America from another threat!"

A lot of people aren't aware that Obama's closest adviser is a woman by the name of Valerie Jarrett. Valerie was born in Iran. Purely coincidence I'm sure.......Riiiiigggghttt!!!!


Just remember Lowrider, you and Jamie and I had nothing to do with our businesses and their successes. It was all the work of our beloved leaders and their wisdom.
I really hope that's dark humour... The fact that one of his advisors is an immigrant really shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. Especially in a nation built by immigrants.

The last time that kind of bigotry, not going to sugar coat it but if being an immigrant from a certain part of the world is enough to condemn a person I can't call it any other word, was used as a valid political argument Hitler was consolidating power in Germany.

For whatever reason worldwide politics has gotten a lot more divisive in terms of cultures which is just sick to me.

Honestly I don't know how you guys can handle congressional elections every two years and a presidential election cycle that lasts more than a year on its own. It's waay too easy to let issues get superheated during that time!
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/keith.pottruff
I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD WRITE SOMETHNG HERE
Canadian Dos Equis fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Cancuncare Regular
 
slore19's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd Mar 2012
Posts: 241
Default

Stuff like this makes me laugh. I have yet to talk to a person that calls themself a dem or rep that has agreed with what their candidate has done after they elected them. They will all fall victim to the money, because that's the only way to get things done in the corrupt government WE all elected. Over the last 4 years it has been down right embarrassing to listen to adults act like children and not allow something to pass just for the shear satisfaction of watching someone else fail. To associate yourself with that type of behavior says alot about your as a human being. Those politicians are not in it for the citizens, only for self. If you believe that they are looking out for your best interest, you need to wake up.

**This message was paid for by Slore19, and I approve this message**

and Steve didn't build this website, vBulletin Solutions did......LOL j/k
Alley_Cat2012 likes this.
__________________
Labor Day 2012 - complete
Labor Day 2013 - complete
Labor Day 2014 - BOOKED - Aug 27 - 31
slore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Cancuncare Enthusiast
 
Mike&Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27th Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13
Default

They don't get the TRUTH at all. We are trying to fix a very serious problem. It will take time. "Lean Forward", don't make the same bad choice again. Four more years then Hillary!!!!!
Mike&Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Mayor of Temptation
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11th Mar 2003
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Posts: 5,483
Default

I'm still waiting for the answer to my question?

Jamie
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Cancuncare Regular
 
slore19's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd Mar 2012
Posts: 241
Default

I'm still waiting on my 40 acres and a mule, but life goes on my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question?

Jamie
slore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Canadian Dos, My comment about Valerie Jarrett is just part of the history of this man who became our President. First off, Iran is a country that refers to the US as the Great Satan and when I see a Valerie Jarrett and a William Ayers and a Jeremiah Wright all tied to the same man and that man has the supposed welfare of this nation at heart, it is just down right scary. Add to it comments that Michelle Obama has made about "all this fuss over a damned flag" and yeah, I do get concerned.

Any time any discussion comes up about Obama, it seems like someone always plays the race card. Personally I could care less what color he is. An incompetent man is no less or more incompetent by being black, or half black as the case may be.

We have watched billions of dollars poured down the ratholes of idiotic social programs that are designed to do nothing other than buy votes. It is time for that to stop and people to become accountable for their own actions.

Jamie has a very valid point. If none of us "built that" and it is an opportunity available to all, why do we need these massive social programs? If this opportunity is available only through the magnificent actions of our government then why do we need all these social programs? After all, if people that have their own businesses didn't "build" those businesses, then why doesn't everyone in the US have the same level of wealth?

One of my all time favorite observations is based on the US Department of Agriculture. This is the branch of the US government that administers food stamps and also administers the National Park System. Well, the folks at Agriculture announced that last year was the biggest year for food stamps in our history. Now remember that these are the same folks that have the signs in the National Parks that warn you not to feed the animals or the animals will become dependent and not fend for themselves. Seems like there is some advice there that could apply to some humans too.
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Mayor of Temptation
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11th Mar 2003
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Posts: 5,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slore19 View Post
I'm still waiting on my 40 acres and a mule, but life goes on my friend.


So you admit it rhetoric and has no basis in fact.

Either that or you want it both ways as in I need to work hard and build my life so you can tax it to give to those that don't want to put in the effort.

I mean if you believe the statement those are the only two choices you have if you still want the social programs to exist.

So there Steve, you have your answer. Itís not the Republicans that donít get it; itís those drinking the Kool-Aid that donít see the idiocy.

Jamie
twinimini likes this.
__________________
TTR Repeat Offender
Reality Ė Never been there but the brochure looks nice!

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man
 
Canadian Dos Equis fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10th Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
Canadian Dos, My comment about Valerie Jarrett is just part of the history of this man who became our President. First off, Iran is a country that refers to the US as the Great Satan and when I see a Valerie Jarrett and a William Ayers and a Jeremiah Wright all tied to the same man and that man has the supposed welfare of this nation at heart, it is just down right scary. Add to it comments that Michelle Obama has made about "all this fuss over a damned flag" and yeah, I do get concerned.

Any time any discussion comes up about Obama, it seems like someone always plays the race card. Personally I could care less what color he is. An incompetent man is no less or more incompetent by being black, or half black as the case may be.

We have watched billions of dollars poured down the ratholes of idiotic social programs that are designed to do nothing other than buy votes. It is time for that to stop and people to become accountable for their own actions.

Jamie has a very valid point. If none of us "built that" and it is an opportunity available to all, why do we need these massive social programs? If this opportunity is available only through the magnificent actions of our government then why do we need all these social programs? After all, if people that have their own businesses didn't "build" those businesses, then why doesn't everyone in the US have the same level of wealth?

One of my all time favorite observations is based on the US Department of Agriculture. This is the branch of the US government that administers food stamps and also administers the National Park System. Well, the folks at Agriculture announced that last year was the biggest year for food stamps in our history. Now remember that these are the same folks that have the signs in the National Parks that warn you not to feed the animals or the animals will become dependent and not fend for themselves. Seems like there is some advice there that could apply to some humans too.
I took a peek at her wikipedia write up, and here's the first paragraph...

Jarrett was born in Shiraz, Iran to American parents James E. Bowman and Barbara Taylor Bowman. Her father, a pathologist and geneticist, ran a hospital for children in Shiraz, 1950, as part of a program where American doctors and agricultural experts sought to help jump-start developing countries' health and farming efforts. When she was five, the family moved to London for one year, returning to Chicago in 1963.[3]

So I guess what I am wondering is, what possible reason is there to bring up the fact she was born in Iran? People are born ex-pat from their home countries all the time.

Maybe I'm missing a valid reason to use her birthplace as a knock on her?
chris-n-allison likes this.
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/keith.pottruff
I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD WRITE SOMETHNG HERE
Canadian Dos Equis fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Dos Equis fan View Post
I took a peek at her wikipedia write up, and here's the first paragraph...

Jarrett was born in Shiraz, Iran to American parents James E. Bowman and Barbara Taylor Bowman. Her father, a pathologist and geneticist, ran a hospital for children in Shiraz, 1950, as part of a program where American doctors and agricultural experts sought to help jump-start developing countries' health and farming efforts. When she was five, the family moved to London for one year, returning to Chicago in 1963.[3]

So I guess what I am wondering is, what possible reason is there to bring up the fact she was born in Iran? People are born ex-pat from their home countries all the time.

Maybe I'm missing a valid reason to use her birthplace as a knock on her?
Dos, I'll have to eat crow on that one. I wasn't aware of her parents being American and part of the aid programs. When I look at the people that Obama has surrounded himself with, it is very difficult to not be skeptical of everyone that he has in his inner circle.

My opinion of the man remains as someone who is in way over his head and has no concept of how the US business operates in general and small business in particular. It seems like every move he makes is geared toward buying votes rather than doing what's right for the US.

One comment that you made early on about our elections seeming like they are a continuous soap opera is very accurate. However, I do remember watching the Canadian Parliament in action and hearing them scream at each other and interrupt each other constantly. Down in the corner of the screen was a lady signing the goings on. Any minute I expected her to start flipping the bird on the screen.
Brewster likes this.
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Owner and Administrator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14th Feb 2003
Location: Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 12,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slore19 View Post
and Steve didn't build this website, vBulletin Solutions did......LOL j/k
Exactly!

I didnt write the code that runs the forum, I bought it. I didnt create the Internet, or the phone system that connects me to it. I didn't make the computer I use to type from or the paper I use in my printer that I also neither invented nor made. I could go on ad infinitum.

I did have an idea that has turned into a moderately successful business but I couldnt have done it without the innovation and expertise of some very smart people and the routine day jobs of other, perhaps not so smart, folks. I'm sure that applies to any business, and was the point Obama was making.

I also dont get this whole "I make good money only because I work hard". There are plenty of people who work hard and make a pittance. There are also plenty of people who don't work hard and make decent money, and I'd include myself in that.
Brewster likes this.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Steve, with all due respect, I must admit that I find it amusing that you would be so in tune with Obama to be able to interpret his meaning. Consider here is a man who has never held down a private sector job in his life, yet we can interpret what he means when he says we didn't build this or that.

I wonder how many sleepless nights Obama spent wondering about decisions he had made and how those decisions would effect his employees and their families. Maybe he tossed and turned over some crook suing him because he wouldn't lie and prepare a fraudulent tax return for the guy. The point being that Obama has no idea what it is like to start a business and to make it work.

Does it take luck and other things to go right for a business to be successful? Yep, it sure does, but it still takes the balls to make it work and that is something Obama hasn't demonstrated that he has.

Obama demeans everything that creators and business people accomplish. His statements are ludicrous because no one operates in a total vacuum. Steve, what you have accomplished with your business and what I have accomplished in mine are a helluva lot more than Obama has ever created. As Jamie pointed out, if it is so available why hasn't everyone done it? Why do we need social programs and welfare for those who refuse to work? After all, they can "build it," so why don't they?
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Mayor of Temptation
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11th Mar 2003
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, FL
Posts: 5,483
Default

I don't buy that for a minute Steve! You're saying that all those long nights you put in studying on how to work the search engines, collecting data, creating content, and pushing your brand was not hard work?

El Toro Poopoo!

You and I both know that's bullshit from the conversations we've had in the past.

Not everyone could collect the tools that you did to build the product that was created by your idea. Yeah we all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us, but without your drive, your incentive, your dedication to achieve the goal it would not have happen.

This is witnessed by the other boards that broke away from here and tried to start their own only to fail.

You BUILT this!! Your hard work, your sweat.

You didn't get lucky, you created your luck. So no, I don't buy your hypothesis.

Jamie
__________________
TTR Repeat Offender
Reality Ė Never been there but the brochure looks nice!

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Owner and Administrator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14th Feb 2003
Location: Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 12,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
Steve, with all due respect, I must admit that I find it amusing that you would be so in tune with Obama to be able to interpret his meaning. Consider here is a man who has never held down a private sector job in his life, yet we can interpret what he means when he says we didn't build this or that.
It's words that have a meaning by themselves, I don't believe the meaning changes dependent on who said it. Experience or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
As Jamie pointed out, if it is so available why hasn't everyone done it? Why do we need social programs and welfare for those who refuse to work? After all, they can "build it," so why don't they?
Poor parenting, lack of education, lack of opportunity, bad career choices, lack of ambition, lack of balls, downright laziness.

We all have the same start in life but by the time we become of working age our attitudes and aspirations have been shaped by our mentors. Our parents, our teachers, our environment, our friends, where we live, the school we go to. Not everyone has the same opportunities, shouldnt we be trying to create those opportunities for others instead of saying "tough shit buddy"? I say "we" because this is not just an issue for the US it's an issue for any country.

If we create the right environment for people to prosper, then more people will.
slore19 likes this.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Steve, the environment is there but the will to achieve is not. Why should anyone work when they don't have to. My comment about the food stamp program and feeding the animals may seem harsh, but it is very true. Why should anyone make the effort when the government is always there to bail them out. We have done so much to destroy initiative in the US that now everyone is entitled to some hand out from the government. The standard attack of the left is that the poor will be left to fend for themselves.

My question then is a simple one. Who will pay for the poor when there is no money?
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
Owner and Administrator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14th Feb 2003
Location: Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 12,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I don't buy that for a minute Steve! You're saying that all those long nights you put in studying on how to work the search engines, collecting data, creating content, and pushing your brand was not hard work?

El Toro Poopoo!

You and I both know that's bullshit from the conversations we've had in the past.

Not everyone could collect the tools that you did to build the product that was created by your idea. Yeah we all stand on the shoulders of those that came before us, but without your drive, your incentive, your dedication to achieve the goal it would not have happen.

This is witnessed by the other boards that broke away from here and tried to start their own only to fail.

You BUILT this!! Your hard work, your sweat.

You didn't get lucky, you created your luck. So no, I don't buy your hypothesis.

Jamie
I agree that yeah it did have a lot to do with me, I had the drive, determination and skills to make it a success. And the balls to leave a good job with great benefits and pension, move half way across the world and take the site full time.

But it was good parenting and education that gave me those attributes. And it was other peoples innovations and work that gave me the tools to "build it". Add a little luck- if I did not go to Dady Rock that night in 1998 and met Jannet I probably would never have gone back to Mexico and I'd still be in my old day job.

Hard work? not really. I read, tap away at a computer, I choose my hours and if I want a day off I go and have one. We recently got back from our trip to the UK and our garden was knee high in weeds. A 60 yr old guy spent 6 hours sweating in temperatures of 95F chopping, preening, sweeping. It now looks great...... and he was paid $35. Now, that is hard work, for not much money.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #24
Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man
 
Canadian Dos Equis fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10th Jan 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 3,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
Dos, I'll have to eat crow on that one. I wasn't aware of her parents being American and part of the aid programs. When I look at the people that Obama has surrounded himself with, it is very difficult to not be skeptical of everyone that he has in his inner circle.

My opinion of the man remains as someone who is in way over his head and has no concept of how the US business operates in general and small business in particular. It seems like every move he makes is geared toward buying votes rather than doing what's right for the US.

One comment that you made early on about our elections seeming like they are a continuous soap opera is very accurate. However, I do remember watching the Canadian Parliament in action and hearing them scream at each other and interrupt each other constantly. Down in the corner of the screen was a lady signing the goings on. Any minute I expected her to start flipping the bird on the screen.
Haha! we ignore them until they do something especially stupid or entertaining. Something about the parliamentary system brings out the screamers!
__________________
http://www.facebook.com/keith.pottruff
I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD WRITE SOMETHNG HERE
Canadian Dos Equis fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Owner and Administrator
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14th Feb 2003
Location: Cancun, Mexico
Posts: 12,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinimini View Post
My question then is a simple one. Who will pay for the poor when there is no money?
Last one for tonight, work to do

The answer would be to act before that situation arises.

There's two ways of doing it - you can either starve them into submission by reducing benefits or you can try and create an environment where more can prosper, costing us less and contributing more.

Creating even more poor people isn't going to work.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
Cancuncare Regular
 
slore19's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd Mar 2012
Posts: 241
Default

I am always curious as to whether the people that are so anti welfare have any family/friends that are on it. And if so, do they berate them as if they are second rate citizens. Have they ever given them any assistance or do they tell their family/friends "tough shit buddy", you should have achieved what I have by now.
__________________
Labor Day 2012 - complete
Labor Day 2013 - complete
Labor Day 2014 - BOOKED - Aug 27 - 31
slore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #27
Cancuncare Enthusiast
 
Join Date: 9th Jul 2010
Posts: 42
Default

One thing I have learned from being in business is this. There are always going to be people in this world who will never amount to anything and spend their whole lives being jealous and resentful of those who worked 18 hours days to get where they are. If they had harnessed that energy into being productive they would be living different lives now. My father once told me it did not matter what type of work a person did in life as long as that person decided he was going to be the best at that job and to always look for better ways to do it. If a person takes that attitude it is almost impossible for them to fail. We are currently teaching people in this country they are "entitled" to everything wether they have earned it or not. Steve if you feel so strongly in your views about your successes you should be giving away all your wealth instead of spending it on yourself and living well it seems. What gives you the right to live well ?? How can you say it is yours ? After all as you say you didn't build it but all those others who came along first with their ideas did. You will always have a segment of the population who would rather live off the the sweat of others and play the guilt game to to those of us who bust our asses to get where we are. Here is a little food for thought as I close...the US has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world......at the same time you see some of these obese people standing in line for food stamps at the encouragement of the government. What is wrong with that picture ? Prime Minister Thatcher said it best" Socialism is wonderful thing..until you run out of other peoples money".
twinimini likes this.
fireguy2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #28
V
I can choose my own title
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: 2nd Apr 2009
Location: Cancun, Centro
Posts: 3,470
Default

Quote:
If a person takes that attitude it is almost impossible for them to fail.
I'm happy for your success, but your statement is more akin to a statement of faith, and flies in the face of data, worldwide, that shows it is not only possible to fail, but the most likely outcome of any small business venture, anywhere.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
Cancuncare Regular
 
crar0520's Avatar
 
Join Date: 22nd Mar 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 125
Default

Very well put Jamie. That is why most young people comming out into the workforce today want exactly what their parents have. What they don't realize is their parents worked 40 years to obtain it.

We have an entitlement society, everyone wants everything and they don't want to work for it.

Remember the lady in 2008 who (they even played it over and over on the liberal media networks, MessNBC etc.) that Obama was going to take care of her bills, house, etc. They are selling dillusionment (I think I just made that word up!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Since nobody did anything on their own and the only reason they succeeded was because they happen to be in the right environment... what hasn't EVERYBODY succeeded?

I mean if I'm nothing special, then why hasn't everyone achieved what I have?

If it not anything I have done then everyone should have succeeded and I really don't need to support anyone else because if they didn't get it done it's because they didn't try.

And if they don't care enough to try why should I care about them?

Jamie
__________________
Craig and Alicia
crar0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #30
I can choose my own title
 
twinimini's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th Jan 2006
Location: WNY
Posts: 1,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slore19 View Post
I am always curious as to whether the people that are so anti welfare have any family/friends that are on it. And if so, do they berate them as if they are second rate citizens. Have they ever given them any assistance or do they tell their family/friends "tough shit buddy", you should have achieved what I have by now.
No one has even remotely suggested an end to all welfare. There are those who cannot take care of themselves and they should always be wards of society. A common tactic of the left has always been to throw the poor in the face of change so that more and more become wards of the state and vote for more giveaways from their masters. If Biden wants to talk about putting people back in chains he need only look to the system of giving money to people in exchange for their votes.

What has to happen in the US is fairly simple in statement and very difficult in practice. People have to become accountable for their own actions. A recent news story appeared about a guy who was just 30 years old and he had 33 children whom he could not support. Neither he nor the women he slept with were even remotely accountable. Why? Because the system does nothing to discourage them.

Right now 30 percent of all the people on Social Security are on Social Security disability. Of those that I know are drawing disability, less than half of them are really disabled. Now tell me what is the justification for that? What is the justification for free cell phones that get an extra 250 minutes every month? What is the justification for free anything for people who are capable of working but won't?

If you get a chance, check out the cover of this week's "Newsweek" magazine. And here's a shocker for you....it isn't just Fox News that thinks it's time for a change!
__________________
A perfect marriage is two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
twinimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 AM.


Learn Spanish
2 for 1 card, 2 for 1 meals and discount tours in Cancun USA Transfers

More sites in the Cancuncare Network

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0