Cancuncare  

Go Back   Cancuncare > Cancun Forums > Living in Cancun & Riviera Maya
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
V
I can choose my own title

Default Annual International Night Marathon- Cancun- 2010

The Annual International Night Marathon will take place this year on the 4th of December starting at 4 PM

Each year features not only a marathon but a half-marathon and 5 and 10K races with age categories for both men and women

Last year 1200 people took part!

This is an event sponsored by the City of Cancun which provides water in route and after the events as well as free massage for those who feel they would benefit from it before or after the races

Doctors from local hospitals and Cruz Roja are standing by to assist those who need medical care of any kind- from blisters to heart attacks!

These events are great fun and there are many "walkers" in the races- as well as those who are pushing children in baby carriages and disabled people either in wheelchairs or pushing "strollers" ahead of them! It's a carnival atmosphere with the crowd cheering everyone on at the end

With four months to prepare there is still plenty of time to get yourself ready for whatever distance you decide you'd like to try this year!
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Cancuncare Addict

Lets hope that this year the shorter event participants leave some water for the marathoners.
There is a very nice looking 21K in Campeche 05-Sept I'm thinking about...and I really wish the 70.3 wasn't so pricey but at $250USD to enter, there is No Way.
kathy_caribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Cancuncare Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy_caribe View Post
Lets hope that this year the shorter event participants leave some water for the marathoners.
There is a very nice looking 21K in Campeche 05-Sept I'm thinking about...and I really wish the 70.3 wasn't so pricey but at $250USD to enter, there is No Way.
What's that, 70.3k? That sounds hard work and very expensive, if they are charging that much to enter then what's the top prize, $25,000 USD? How far is Campeche?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Cancuncare Guru

What you going in for then V? You may be able to convince me to do the 10k but I think the half-marathon would be a little too far!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
V

Default Ironman Cancun 2010

Hi Sam! That would be great if you decided to compete in one of these events

Campeche is six hours from here by ADO GL service

You might convince my wife to give a 10K a try but I'll just be trying to improve my 5K time from last year: of course the reality is that a 10K is just more of the same- but I decided to make the 5K my test

What I think Kathy is referring to is the Ironman Competition that is coming to Cancun this September 19th- also worth giving a shot!

Cancun Iroman 2010

The Ironman Cancun is a "half" Ironman with the distances for swimming-biking-running all reduced by half from the "full" Ironman

Still it's challenging enough for most mortals! And it will be fun to watch!

Last edited by V; 08-04-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Any of you near SM 312? I would love to join a running group and perhaps do this "Night Marathon." It's been a while but I would like to get back at it.
mparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
V

Many, but not all, prefer to run in the Hotel Zone, and on the beaches. Coming from SM312, you'd just be getting warmed up good by the time you hit the entrance to the HZ! Or, you could take a bus north to Av Coba and hop off there, where you'd be a short distance to the entrance to the HZ.

There's quite a fitness culture here, in Cancun, and you can find several hundred people running/walking/cycling every morning- in the HZ, and at Puerto Cancun (cycling, mainly there).

Another poster, MAVSFAN, a professional trainer, needs 5K just to get warmed up good! My wife is also a tireless runner, and could do a marathon as easily as a 5K. There are some others- Rawkus can be found of a morning hitting the running paths- and Matkirk has said he likes to run.

Sounds like the possible core of a running club/team to me!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #8

You can find me on the track at 6am, Monday to Friday

The temperature is absolutely amazing in the early hours of the day.

Like V said: There are literally hundreds of people at the track, especially in the mornings, but also during the evening when it is a bit cooler again.

You will also find a decent work-outstation at the start of the track(its right at the entrance of the Hotel Zone, in the little green "park" between the two lanes).

You could also try Parque Kabah as you will be running on gravel rather than asphalt(concrete). Parque Kabah also offers a workout-station and I love to run there as you are surrounded by nature and wildlife, rather than buses, cars and tourists

You will find Parque Kabah right across the street from COSTCO and Mega Comercial, next to the football and baseball stadiums.
rawkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Cancuncare Guru

@V mmmm I'm not sure if I like to run, I think it is more I like a few beers and if I didn't run I'd have a huge gut - so it's kind of necessity.

Where is SM312 by the way??
matkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Cancuncare Enthusiast

SM312 is in the vacinity of the Toyota dealership, at least thats where I am.
mparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Cancuncare Guru

I have a 'running track' all to mysellf! I like to run at the end of the Bonampak, heading up towards El Meco and Punta Sam, it's dead quiet, sometimes smells of the rubbish people dump but it's very peaceful, cars generally stick to the road, no one in your way and if you run from the entrance to Jardines De La Costa (last road in Jardines Del Bonampak) then it's exactly 2.5k to El Meco, quick look at the ruins and home again to complete 5k. Although admitedly by the time i get to 2k, i'm starting to feel it, so I turn around and never normally make it that far, however it is 1pm, it's 34 degrees, I have no water and medical assistance isn't coming fast, so i take the sensible option!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Cancuncare Enthusiast

It looks like the official website for the Cancun Marathon 2010 has finally been updated.

Maratón Internacional nocturno Cancún 2010
Old 11-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Cancuncare Newbie

just heard the Marathon for Dec 4th has been moved to Dec 18th. Looks like I am running long on Saturday by myself lol
100irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
Cancuncare Enthusiast

OMFG. How can you change the date of a marathon 1 week before the race? I can only imagine the number of pissed off out-of-towners who will be here next weekend!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Cancuncare Guru

I thought it might be cancelled due to the extra security for COP16 - hey it gives an extra weeks training!
TraceyUk is offline   Reply With Quote