Cancuncare  

Go Back   Cancuncare > Cancun Forums > Living in Cancun & Riviera Maya
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Default Cable tv service

We will be in Cancun for three months and would like to set up the upgraded TV (box to get US channels). Rental agent says cable company will not do short term contracts anymore, only for a year minimum. Anyone know if this is correct, and if so, what could we expect to pay monthly?
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Default Provider?

If no one can answer my query, can someone tell me who the Cable provider is in Cancun? Is there more than one? A website or phone number would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Cancuncare Guru

The local cable is Cablemas Cablemás . Es tu idea. I think your original post confused people when you said you wanted US channels, as that sounds almost like your asking about a imported (or pirated) DISH system which is not something everyone knows how to help you with, especially if you'll only be here 3 months. I can't speak to the year minimum rumor except to say it was month to month last time I did anything several years back... There are some US channels on cablemas, but there is a fair amount of programming that is in English with Spanish subtitles on the regular channels. There is SKY which is satellite and is a 18 month or so contract... There is also DISH-Mexico that is new to the area and is more than likely similar to SKY in the contract length... A three month stay may require you to buddy up with a neighbor to share their cable temporarily if cablemas has gone to a minimum contract policy...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Thank you Life N Cancun. That is just the info that I needed. My wife understands Spanish pretty well (reads, & writes quite well, but doesn't speak it too comforatbly yet) She should be able to get an idea of what is available. She just can't be without her T.V.