Cancuncare  

Go Back   Cancuncare > Cancun Adults Only Hotels > Temptation Resort Cancun
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Default Will my iphone pick up 3G there?

Hi all, I have some important business to take care of while I'm there with my investment. Will my iphone pick up 3g? I would rather not use the resort computers.
Cheers!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
I can choose my own title

they have wifi
backs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Cancuncare Enthusiast

You should be ok with your Iphone. They work fine in the major cities, and the resorts are close enough to Cancun that it will be fine.
kparnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Backs, I'm assuming they charge for the wifi right? I'm paying a huge monthly bill to bypass more charges at the hotels I stay at. I'm fine just using the 3G, I was just hoping someone could confirm using a 3G phone there. I told my phone company to hook me up with unlimited 3g for the next few months just before I went to Vegas last week. I may as well use it if I can.
Cheers
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Cancuncare Enthusiast

I'm not sure what company you use for the iPhone in Canada, but I had no coverage with ATT while I was there in October. Then again, I really didn't seek out coverage either.

I actually just used Skype to make any calls I needed to make while I was there over the wifi. Understand not wanting the extra charges, but that's my experience.

Not sure when we'll make it back...
choffman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by choffman2k View Post
I'm not sure what company you use for the iPhone in Canada, but I had no coverage with ATT while I was there in October. Then again, I really didn't seek out coverage either.

I actually just used Skype to make any calls I needed to make while I was there over the wifi. Understand not wanting the extra charges, but that's my experience.
Oh no. An iPhone with AT&T extended coverage was our plan for communication with the outside world. Has anyone had success with AT&T coverage in cancun?

What is a good back up plan? Skype? How would that work down there? Skype is audio and video right? Can you purchase a temporary mobile phone? I want to be able to call home but have them be able to reach us also if need be. Thanks!
Octoberbreast 2014, 3rd to 7th at TTR! Pearl 7th to 11th.
Jen&Kyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by single canadian guy View Post
Backs, I'm assuming they charge for the wifi right? I'm paying a huge monthly bill to bypass more charges at the hotels I stay at. I'm fine just using the 3G, I was just hoping someone could confirm using a 3G phone there. I told my phone company to hook me up with unlimited 3g for the next few months just before I went to Vegas last week. I may as well use it if I can.
Cheers
Good point with the 3G if you are paying for the unlimited anyway. I know there was a small charge for the wifi, they were supposed to make it free for everyone, cuz it is free for us members , at least thats what they said last time i was there... I would think you should be fine with whatever service you choose to use, the hotel zone has many companies and businesses and towers, there should be a way to confirm coverage with your provider, but my guess is you should be fine...ive always had great cell reception, Ive just had to add the international package on my phone before leaving because otherwise it would not pick up the internet...again, im sure there is a way to confirm your 3G...if i hear anything ill send you a message

Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Cancuncare Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen&Kyle View Post
Oh no. An iPhone with AT&T extended coverage was our plan for communication with the outside world. Has anyone had success with AT&T coverage in cancun?

What is a good back up plan? Skype? How would that work down there? Skype is audio and video right? Can you purchase a temporary mobile phone? I want to be able to call home but have them be able to reach us also if need be. Thanks!
We used our AT&T cell phones in Cancun in July 2008 with no problem. Make sure and call them and tell them to turn on the international roaming capability.
Marsh
TexasCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:

Like they said, AT&T should be fine if you call them and add your international plan , then just take it off when you get back. However you can rent a pay as you go phone down there also, I found that out last and almost did that... but just went with my phone and hoped not to make too many drunk calls to rub in the good times back home haha

Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Quote:

Skype is just audio to you iPhone. May want to download the app and test it. You have to pay a minimal fee to Skype for certain features, but it worked like a charm. You just really can't receive calls...which was damn fine by me for the week. I got to talk to who I wanted to.

I left my phone in airplane mode, and just used the wifi for email and skype.

That said, I didn't have the international calling enabled because I thought my wife's Tmobile Blackberry would pick up wifi to make calls with. I was wrong, because the wifi just isn't strong enough to support it I guess.

Not sure when we'll make it back...
choffman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Life begins at 40!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by single canadian guy View Post
Hi all, I have some important business to take care of while I'm there with my investment. Will my iphone pick up 3g? I would rather not use the resort computers.
Cheers!
You will have full signal, but don't think it will be 3G. I don't have international roaming turned on, but did use the wifi with my I-phone. Somewhat inconsistent, but works OK. The WIFI takes a while to hook up for some reason, but works reasonably well once it gets the network signal. Works better in the room (where I am never at), and works OK by the Sexy Pool.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Last edited by Bart/Annette; 02-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Bart/Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Cancuncare Addict

We were just there this past week and my wife's iPhone worked fine, both for calling and 3G (didn't want to pay for the hotel's wifi). We got a 1-month international package through our provider for $30 so we wouldn't be hit with big international charges.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #13

OK, SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL ATT IPHONES USERS LIKE MYSELF.

THE INTERNATIONAL PLAN THRU ATT DOES NOT, I REPEAT NOT COVER ANY DATA USE.

SO UNLESS YOU BUY A SEPERATE DATA PACKAGE SPECIFICALLY FOR MEXICO USE YOU GET CHARGED FOR ANY DATA USGAE INCLUDING EMAIL AND ANY INTERNET USE AT MEXICO RATES!!!

IF YOU HAVE YOU PHONE SET UP TO PUSH EMAILS AND/OR SET UP TO CHECK FOR EMAILS EVERY SO OFTEN EVEN IF THERE ARE NO EMAIL YOU GET CHARGED WITH THE TIME THAT THE IPHONE IS CHECKING. AND IF YOU DOWNLOAD OR SEND A LARGE FILE SUCH AS PICTURES ETC YOU CAN INCUR A VERY LARGE BILL WHEN U GET HOME. AND GOOD LUCK GETTING IT FIXED AS THEY ARE LISTED AS DATA ROAMING CHARGES AND ARE CHARGED DIRECTLY TO ATT FROM THERE CELL COMPANIES.
I HAD A VERY LARGE BILL TWO MONTHS AFTER I GOT BACK AS IT TAKES AWHILE FOR ATT TO GET THE BILL FROM THE MEXICO CELL COMPANIES AND CHARGE US.(OVER $300 FROM JUST CHECKING MY EMAILS ONCE A DAY FOR A WEEK AND EMAILING A COUPLE OF PICTURES).

WHEN I CALLED THEY INSTRUCTED ME TO TURN MY DATA ROAMING OFF. THAT TURNS OFF THE CELL CONNECTION TO INTERNET. PHONE WORKS JUST FINE IN THIS MODE AND SO DOES WIFI.
HOPE THIS SAVES YOU GUYS SOME $$
THAT BEING SAID THEY MIGHT HAVE CHANGED THIS IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS SO CHECK BEFORE YOU GO.
BTW BESIDES THAT PHONE WORKS GREAT ALL OVER CANCUN.
Oct 13-23rd trip #19 , May 12-19th 2014 trip #20!!
Oct 4-14th 2014 trip# 21
fbjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #14

Looks like it hasnt changed much except when you access network options on the iphone underneath the option to turn off data roaming it now says

"turn data roaming off when abroad to avoid substancial roaming charges when using email, web browsing, and other data services"

i guess they got tired of the irate customers and now can say" hey it says so on you phone"
Oct 4-14th 2014 trip# 21
Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Cancuncare Enthusiast

Beware !!!! this is what you get when you turn off airplane mode in MEXICO!!!!!
tipellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
Cancuncare Addict

Good to know. We all have I-phones now and never would have thought about data charges. Thanks.
Marsh
TexasCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #17

wow, this is great info. $19.97 a MB? I have my phone constantly downloading my gmail and am sending pics. That would have been a disaster. Is there no plan you can purchase in advance to cover data? I guess I will call to find out.
Octoberbreast 2014, 3rd to 7th at TTR! Pearl 7th to 11th.
Jen&Kyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
wow, this is great info. $19.97 a MB? I have my phone constantly downloading my gmail and am sending pics. That would have been a disaster. Is there no plan you can purchase in advance to cover data? I guess I will call to find out.
they do have prepaid data plans that work when roaming, dont know much about them but they are on ATT website. never did one cause i just dont know how much data i actually use. easier to just post a vacation autorespove on my email accoint that tells the i wont be checking my email but can be reached by text.
also change my VM that i will only be checking messages once in the am and once in the pm. and to text me if its a short message. cheaper that way than to call the 800 # to retrieve VMs. visual VM does not work there.
Oct 4-14th 2014 trip# 21
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #19
Cancuncare Enthusiast

you have to disable 3G and network roaming or you'll be chared per Kb of data transferred thru any social networking site/email/etc. and keep your phone in airplane mode if you dont want to be charged for incoming voice mails. incoming text and pic msgs are free but outgoing txts are .50, pic txts 1.30. you can buy the mexico abroad plan for 4.99, one time fee, for .59 per min. otherwise calls are .99 per min. International calling rates and packages - Wireless from AT&T or www.att.com/worldpackagesv
ChiroMan&RadioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #20

another way to keep down the bill (sign up for INT. plan but keep it for at least 30 days as sometimes the bills from mexico do not hit ATT for a few weeks afterward) is to change your message on your VM to say,

"" hey im in mexico please do not leave a message. if important please text me.""

Frank
Oct 4-14th 2014 trip# 21