Pump to increase water pressure in house

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun & Riviera Maya' started by v8eyedoc, Nov 14, 2011.

1. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Do many people who hate the low water pressure in the shower have a pump installed to increase the pressure.??

If so - what do I ask for like at Home Depot and how much do they add to the electric bill.?? And, what is approximate cost?

2. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You need a pump, pressure switch and air tank. Some plumbing too. Not sure if Home Depot is your best place to buy. Try the pump shops direct. Should not add much to your CFE. Just make sure you don't spring leaks with the pressure. A leak can cause a fairly horrific water bill too. Cost varies on pump size etc.

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You dont need the pump and tank and stuff...they sell a little pump that connects to your water line and will kick on only when the water is running. They have 2 sizes but for a small apt you only need the small one. I think they are around 1200-1500 pesos and really easy to install.

Send TJ a message, he has one of these in his apt. I can't think of what it is called off the top of my head.

4. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank so much Cancun Fun......!!!! That is what I really wanted to hear from someone..........and not a complicated expensive set -up....

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's TJ

I got mine for $ 1400 and it is a simple install. The place I used is on Palenque, in the first block past Chichen Itza when going north. It runs from street to street so you can enter from either side as Palenque is divided here. It is bright red. I have a guy who can probably install it for $ 300-$ 400 if you want. The pressure does not knock you down but it works just fine for me. There usa no lag our pulsing when you turn on the water. As Cancun Fun says, it is inline and hours on and off at once by the switch being activated as the water runs through it from the tinaco.

6. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    damn you auto-correct!!!jaja

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oops sorry. i was at cell phone office. i am not going to edit.

srt f lk you knw wht I mean. ajaj

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ: A friend just bought a house in Santa Fe, and the water pressure is really sucky.

Is the improvement significant with the pump that you installed? Ie: Is it worth it?

10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Absolutely worth it. The shorter the distance from the tinaco to the water outlet in the house, the less the pressure. My tinaco is only one floor above my apt so the normal "gravity flow" pressure is not much.

For those on a budget the pump I purchased is the best deal going. To get more pressure than I have would be a lot more expensive than what I have. It will not sting my back in the shower but it is more than adequate for me.

I was at the pump place yesterday just to say hi as I was in the area. What I got I think in 2008 for $1400, is now $1900+ but still a bargain. I would buy another one at that price if mine went out on me.

When you turn on the water, the pump goes on at once. A friend had a booster pump that took a few seconds to kick on and it drove me nuts when I was there (Isla Holbox) waiting for the water to turn on. Plus his pulsed. My pressure is constant as long as the faucet/shower/whatever is on. The pump goes off immediately the split second the faucet is closed.

The people are really nice. A young guy, Luis, speaks nearly perfect English and there are two ladies who speak it as well. The older one is flawless and the younger one is good enough to communicate totally in English if needed. We do fine with my Spanglish.

11. PatoPan

PatoPan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi T.J, by any chance can you remember the name of the store and the pump? I bought one of the "instant" water heaters, and have the problem of not quite having enough pressure in the system for it to recognize when I turn the tap on.

I assume from the fact that it just turns on while you have the tap open it doesn't have much affect on the electricity bill? I bought the damn boiler to save me gas, and I seem to spending that money "saved" sorting it out... :icon_rolleyes:

12. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The brand is GRUNDFOS and the place is called Central Hidraulica del Caribe, Av Palenque, Lote 66, Mz 8, SM 62. Phone 887 0354.

The pump is red and not much bigger then an American football. I was showering last night and thought how much I like this thing. Did laundry and the washer filled quickly instead of dribbling in.

13. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right the pump is only running when the water is on. The cost for my electric is next to nothing.

14. PatoPan

PatoPan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Brilliant, thanks a lot, I'll have a look later on!

15. MAHAnurse

MAHAnurse Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope you see this post. I have a new 2 story house and the water pressure seemed OK until I added a instant hot water gas heater. CAL O REX BRAND FROM HOME DEPOT. MODEL coxdpi-07. When first installed, I got no water running out of the hot water side of my shower. It was suggested there could be an air lock. After running the line for 1.5 hours, water came. The instant tank worked but it does not continue to keep the water hot. it takes forever for it to reach the upstairs shower. the sink faucet will be hot but the shower not. Also the kitchen sink which is about 2 meters from the instant hot water tank has good cold water pressure but the hot side just dribbles. I checked the incoming line and it is clean. the type of water piping in the house is the green type. My handy man says that is the best. I was thinking a pressure pump might work. Ideas?

16. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Frankly, I see no reason why a correctly installed instant hot water heater would have cut the flow of water to the hot side in the way you described. Below are my thoughts on it. Having a very competent plumber take a look at the situation is probably in order, just to be sure the hot water heater was installed correctly. Your device is said not to require high water pressure to operate correctly. http://www.calorex.com.mx/calentadores/calorex/instantaneo/instantaneo-standard/coxdpi-07-b

General performance characteristics

When correctly installed water will flow through the device relatively unimpeded. Water is heated as it passes through.

The heater will have a capacity limit of say 6, or 8 liters per minute that it can heat adequately. Water flowing faster than that will not get as hot as it should but will flow faster, nevertheless.

The further the point of use is from the hot water heaters the longer it will take for the hot water to reach it, and the harder it will be to regulate the water temperature. This is because any adjustment you make to reduce the amount of hot water will take just as long to reach you as it did for the hot water to reach you initially. The exception to that will be if you just add more cold water, or reduce the cold water to change the temperature rather than changing the amount of hot water you're demanding of the system.

Installing a second instant hot water heater nearer the point of distant use can be a solution.

Dealing with the problems

I would suggest that you inspect your hot water heater. See what the control gives you as options for how much to heat the water as it passes through. See what the maximum heating capacity is in terms of liters per minute; then, take a bucket and run the hot side water only at full on into a bucket for one minute and measure it. If it flows too fast and would overflow your bucket, then cut the time in half and calculate how much would have run in a minute. If the flow rate is too low, as you described in this case, the hot water heater will shut itself off as a safety feature, as the water will get too hot. Lowering the temperature setting may avoid reaching this point and allow for continuous operation. If it doesn't come on at all the flow rate is probably too low to trigger its operation.

Perhaps this has all been obvious to you before and you've already done this without result but, if not, it may just help you pinpoint the cause of some of the problems.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016