Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Cancun Info' started by tflexxin, Oct 13, 2014.

1. tflexxin

tflexxin Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Cheapest flights, but I've heard bad thing about flight cancellations, delays, missed connections, etc.
    Can anyone provide any experiences? Good bad?

2. Edward-Alli

Edward-Alli I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Friends flew with spirit, and hated every minute of it. They charge you extra for every single thing, you end up paying more then other airlines. Total bull Shit airline.

3. GSpot69

GSpot69 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 1
    They can be ok, but be careful if they only have 1 flight that day. BUMP. Join the $9 fair club and you can save a bit. They are rated the worst airline but you can save a few bucks.
    check out yapta.com I started doing that to find the lowest rates. worked out great lately for us

4. tflexxin

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I knew they sucked with extra costs, but even with the extra costs it's significantly cheaper than any other airline. But I am seriously considering dropping the extra $600 for two to get direct flights on a major airline

5. Edward-Alli

Edward-Alli I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I will personally never will use connecting flights, Did that the first time to TTR. Now I will only go direct. Faster to the sexy pool and to the party. Why waste the whole first day and last day travelling, cuts your vacation time.

6. McKellar77

McKellar77 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    We have used Spirit for our last 2 trips. We think they are great. We knew about all of the extra fees up front and we still saved a ton of money. They do have a 40 pound weight limit instead of the normal 50 pounds for other airlines, but on our last trip, I was 3 pounds over and they didn't say a word. Just make sure to pay for your bags online and not when you get to the airport. We didn't mind having to pay for snacks and drinks because we were only planning on drinking alcohol and we would have had to pay for that on any flight. I have heard a lot of bad things about Spirit, but from my experience, I would highly recommend them.

7. scottydog

scottydog I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    We flew Spirit last Spring...and there were positives and negatives. Even adding in the extra baggage and carry-on fees...and paying to reserve seats so Jamie and I could sit together...it was the cheapest option when we booked. The seats are smaller and closer together...the 40 lb weight limit for checked luggage meant we had to pay for an extra checked bag (still cheaper than other airlines). The only issue was that a couple weeks after we booked on Orbitz, I got an e-mail asking me to call Orbitz directly about a change in our flight plans where I was then directed to call Spirit. The change was kind of big...they cancelled all May flights to and from Cancun and she asked me to re-book in June. I asked her if she was nuts. Our flight to Cancun on April 30 was ok and Orbitz found me a return flight on American at about the same price.

This trip, we decided to avoid Spirit and book non-stop flights. In a pinch if it was the best option...I'd fly Spirit again... but to cancel Cancun flights during May was an odd move and I'd probably be worried that would happen again.

On a bright note...Our connection out of Ft. Lauderdale had flight attendants that I swear Hugh Hefner hired himself. I realize that to say that may not be politically correct...but let's just say that I paid full attention to the pre-flight safety briefing and invited each of them over to discuss some of the intricacies around the proper latching of my seat belt and the ins and outs of being in an emergency exit seat.

8. Carolinacouple

Carolinacouple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As a travel agent I can only tell you this....we NEVER book with them unless a client demands we do. We have had more issues with Spirit than all the other airlines combined. If you absolutely positively need to be somewhere....like a wedding, funeral, or graduation there is no way I would use them. However if you are not in a rush and have lots of flexibility and feel like saving a few bucks has priority over reliability/price go for it. We always tell our clients not to get upset if "stuff" happens because you get what you pay for. I even fly them at times.....when I am not on a tight schedule of course.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  9. tflexxin

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback.. We're booked now, and I'll be interested to see how our red-eye flight goes!

10. Clint & Julie Anderson

Clint & Julie Anderson Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am guessing that Spirit airlines is the discount airfare they are talking about when you buy into the resort. Does anyone know if that is correct? We recently became premier members and we supposedly get 15 percent discount on airfare through our World Pass membership but I am having a heck of a time figuring it all out. From what I can see so far the flights are horrible and not very convenient for us. If anyone has any more info on this please feel free to share.

11. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Spirit to Cancun at least 5 to 6 times per year and only 1 time experienced a delay in the past 5 to 6 years. I fly jet Blue and American 1-2 times per year and experienced more delays on both of those than Spirit.

With that said I fly Spirit from FLL and it is only an 80 to 90 minute flight. And over 90% of the time the yare a lot cheaper than JB or American. In fact they can be as much as 40 to 50% cheaper. Now I bring no luggage with me except 1 personal item which spirit allows free, in fact I bought a special oversized laptop case on wheels designed to comply with spirit free item size. I do not reserve seats in advance and never had an issue of sitting together with my family.

I would avoid any flight that is not non stop, but I have no issues flying Spirit if they save me $150 which I estimate is about the average I save per ticket.

I go down alone a lot but at least 3 times per year with my family, so 4 tickets per flight and save $150 per ticket = $600 per flight savings. 3 flights per year = $1800 per year savings. We have been using Spirit regular for past 7 years.

7 years saving $1800 per year plus adding a 5% interest rate means I saved $14,776.22. So I will pass on the free beverage and chips for that kind of savings. Spirit does a fine job of getting me from point A to point B, and there is a reason why they are the fastest growing airline in the industry

12. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lied to by Spirit Airlines

I was supposed to leave Phoenix at 1:00 AM today for Cancun. The lady at the Spirit Airlines counter said I was required by federal law to have a return ticket. I told her I have never needed a return ticket when flying to Mexico and that she was mistaken. She said I can't issue you a ticket so I asked her to refund my ticket which she did. Today I went to the Spirit Airlines website to call them and complain but they don't have a phone listed anywhere that I could find.

My advise is to stay away from Spirit Airlines.

Today I booked my flight with Southwest Airlines and saved about $1.00 with no fees for checked bags, carry on bags, or my laptop.

Al

13. ajay

ajay HnH Repeat Offenders Registered Member

Ratings:
    +713 / 1
    Spirit is an ok airline if you do it smart and watch the extra add ons. I prefer jet blue as they seem more reliable and you get one bag per person free.

14. BVG_Steve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jet Blue may seem more reliable but the actual stats to not show that. Both have similar stats as far as on time performance and both are pretty decent. Also JB does not give free anything, they do allow 1 bag no extra charge but it is not free as it is included the much higher ticket prices they charge.

You have to match apples to apples as Spirit is almost always a lot cheaper which more than offsets anyone paying for a bag, some chips and a beverage while flying Spirit.

Also noteworthy almost every airline is now copying Spirit's business mode and the majority of profits for airlines now come from add on fees and the industry will continue to move this way as that model works regardless how much consumers complain about it.

15. BVG_Steve

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The days of 1 bag free on JetBlue are history with yesterdays announcement. JetBlue is now adding a baggage fee and adding more seats per plane, shortening the leg room. They are the last carrier other than Southwest to have a bag fee and to follow Spirits lead in changing the airline industry.

Spirit started this trend and now every airline is copying Spirit

16. jnine

jnine Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 1
    If it's a choice between flying Spirit and walking, give walking serious consideration. We hate those nickel and dime you, never on time basta_#*s.

17. Bobsplace

Bobsplace Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If Southwest doesn't fly somewhere then I probably don't need to go there.

18. jnine

jnine Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 1
    Good call. I like Southwest but since Delta is the big gorilla in this state i get a lot of miles with them. Not that I have any great love for Delta, but its a barely working relationship based on geography. Keeping with them gets me a few perks though so I stay with it.

19. Emandkay

Emandkay Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can't say anything good about Spirit. Stressful and uncomfortable. The seats are too close and the ones you can pay more for are ok but you might as well just pay more for a better airline. The bag weights are less than American, SW and AreoMexico.... Take a look.

The only time it is worth it is when other airlines are way over your limit. If you can go 500 bucks less that is my squeeze point. otherwise spend the money to start your vacation on the flight. You can't do that with Spirit.