Tips/Gifts for staff

Discussion in 'Temptation Resort Cancun' started by mikenbarb, Mar 15, 2016.

1. GoGoBlanco

GoGoBlanco Not spoilt, Privileged! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0
    You tip how you feel, everyone is different. We're modest tippers, but holiday 6-8 weeks a year (it adds up!)

Top tip though....tip housekeeping a little every day. The maid (sometimes a guy) has a day off, if you tip big at the end it may not be your regular maid that picks it up. Boy, did we notice when our regular maid had the day off!

We tend to tip the bar guys who actually listen to what we want (Malibu, not Coconut rum for example), waiters (if good service - every night this last trip) and personal things, like the guys at breakfast at Sea Flirt learned how to make English tea, in a pot! They were well looked after.

We're English, we don't have a big tipping culture. We tip for that little bit extra. You'll find your way.

2. mikenbarb

mikenbarb Enthusiast Registered Member

Long Island, NY (via Montreal, Calgary, Houston)
    Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    We try n tip everyone a couple of dollars when possible but the tarbenders at the sexy pool are the keys for us so we tip them more. Rather than having to tip them small here and there we give 20$ as soon as we meet them and continue every day or other day the same, they remember and will take good care of you. Thats where we plan the bulk of our tips.

3. Hutch6292

Hutch6292 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 1
    I went to my bank and they don't do currency exchange. Is it okay to tip if you haven't exchanged the Cash?

4. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 6
    I am not sure where you are from, but yes you can tip in USD. There is exchange(at the fair rate) at the airport if you wanted pesos. I actually stopped changing the money over through. I get too drunk and too confused sometimes when I have both forms of currency and just starting handing out cash. Then I get back to the room and Elyse is wondering where the money went. Hmmm I might have just drunkenly tipped $100+, hahaha oh well they all desive it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. C00kieD0ugh

C00kieD0ugh Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 1
    Funny story about this... Tried to purchase something on the resort in Jamaica with $20 CAD and she would not accept it, because frankly, if you have ever seen it, compared to the greenback, it looks like monopoly money. Thing is, at the time, our money was worth a lot more than the US currency and I was overpaying for the product because I didn't have any smaller bills.

It was like a $12 purchase, tried to explain that she was making at least a $10 surplus plus her profit if she would only accept the bill. Nope, she refused and lost a sale. It was frustrating because she didn't know enough about my currency to know if I was telling the truth.

ScubaSteve wasn't far off when talking about using US dollars though. A pro tip for anyone travelling South is that you can't go wrong when using either the local currency or green backs. Use any other currency at your own risk...

6. Hutch6292

Ratings:
    +131 / 1
    Thank you

7. Hutch6292

Ratings:
    +131 / 1
    T
    Thanks I just want to make sure they are getting a fair tip

8. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Having travelled all over, cash is always King. CDN dollars are always tough and local currency can fluctuate 10% or more in a week so USD work everywhere. Our Tips start high and go up or down from there. We always leave money for the maids daily and get to know people by their names.

9. C00kieD0ugh

C00kieD0ugh Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 1
    Steve, you've replied to some of my queries and I think I may finally be in a position to return the favour! It's an old trick apparently, but because I am not a big drinker, I only learnt it on my second trip to Hedo years ago. So, in an effort to pay if forward, here's the "drunk proof" tip on how not to overtip:

Fold the bill in half 3 times until you end up with a small square. Now fold a bunch more and put them in your pocket handing them out willy nilly without a care in the world... I usually do it as we are having drinks, getting ready to go out for the evening.

There's another advantage to this method. Whenever you go to the no tipping resorts where your tip is already included in the price. Even on these resorts you get better service by tipping. However, you have to be careful since they can get fired if seen accepting tips. So, the method is to put the small folded square bill in the palm of your hand, holding it with your thumb. Raise your hand and wave at the bartender, he will see that there's a tip in that hand of yours and will rush right over to help you out.

You would not believe the amount of times that other guests, who were already waiting for the bartender to be free before I showed up, asked me what my trick was lol, good times!

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. mikenbarb

mikenbarb Enthusiast Registered Member

Long Island, NY (via Montreal, Calgary, Houston)
    Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    Just tip in USD....I don't think they mind it!

11. RandAsexy

RandAsexy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Best drunk tipping tip!!! Before we leave we have envelopes for each day. We put tip money for each day in each envelope. Pull out that days money and go. This way we make sure we have tip money everyday.

12. Joe&Heidi

Joe&Heidi Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    If you want pesos....you'll likely be better off just using an ATM to with draw pesos. Its not a problem the bank will make the conversion automatically. This will likely be the best conversion rate you get anywhere.

Exchanging money in tourist areas you don't get a good rate. But locals will likely be able to get a better rate in town.

13. gonzo1221

gonzo1221 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We always give tips, we also bring OKC Thunder and OU football/BB shirts and hats that seem to go over well.

14. bevy

bevy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    we just give pesos lots and lots of pesos .. :)
    we know they work hard it seems to work hubs just has to walk by a bar and he has a drink in his hand
    we clean up after ourselves in the room but leave a good tip pretty much every day as well
    we tip the guys when we go eat .. rather tip to much than not enough :)

15. Jess_2703

Jess_2703 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 1
    Hey, they can’t pay their bills in us and In my opinion would kinda loose money exchanging from cad to usd to pesos.
    We do pesos now since our dollar is bad.
    TD canada trust had some great exchange (better than a quebec “bank “ )
    I do 20 pesos/per 1-2 drink. / per round.
    50 pesos per day maid. (If its a mess I leave more but we clean up after ourself. We are adult and maid don’t need to go thrue my mess.)
    20-50 pesos for buffet ( depends of the service receive)
    20 pesos per station ( eggs, grill if we take anything of course )
    50-100 / person for dinner ( depends of service receive )
    Some 20 pesos here and there for people working around the resort.
    I also give them a bigger tip on first and then the morning I leave ( maid espiecially)
    Pesos are useless here so I want to come back with the less amount possible

16. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 2
    Yeah those shirts and hats are pretty worthless in the States, especially in Texas, and you can't give them away so might as well dump them on the help in MX:D:cool:

17. Funtwo40s

Funtwo40s Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    We try to save a nice $100 dollar bill for either our maid or a very deserving worker in addition to our normal tipping. The hardworking sweet pool waitress got it the morning we left I forget her name but what a sweet cocktail waitress! . Hope it made her week. We figure if we can afford a weeks vacation we can afford to do that at the very least .

18. SaskFunCpl

SaskFunCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 0
    Just out of curiosity.. if one shows up with $500 USD or so for tips and “miscellaneous purchases” (code for nipple clamps, gag balls, lube, crops, assless chaps, etc) are there lockable safes in the rooms? Are items such as passports, electronics and jewelry safe in the room or does one have to hide everything and hope to god they can remember in their drunken state - exactly where that cheap Rolex knock-off or Flesh light was hidden?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0
    Why would you just carry all of that with you at all time just in case?
    Kidding (not)!).....I would assume there is a safe but is anything really "safe"? Not sure all of that will fit anyway safes are about the size of a small mailbox......you will have to keep the chaps on and the whip needs to bend! We always find a bank that has an ATM that also gives out dollars. Usually around the cruise ship ports or higher end shopping areas of you are skittish about cash in the room?

20. SaskFunCpl

SaskFunCpl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 0
    Thanks- wasn’t sure what the ATM (get yer mind out of the gutter) situation was at TTR. I take it no reliable ATM (seriously people!) at the resort? I’ve heard credit cards aren’t recommended either for purchases.